Now that the weather is cooler, but still quite warm and nice it is time to put on the hiking boots, grab some water and some snacks and get out and explore the vast desert.
We love a good adventure so on Veteran's Day we decided to check out some places that weren't too far from our home. We headed south west of town in our Trooper and talked about what a Veteran was and why we celebrated Veteran's Day along the way. We are so very grateful for all the brave men and women who have fought for our freedoms.
MJ and
TJ are checking out an old mine. The person who owned this mine actually built a home around his mine. It is all gone now but you can see where the home was. I couldn't get a good picture of it from close up and forgot about getting one further away.

This is a train tunnel that is in the middle of no where. I believe the trains come from
Trona. There is a switching station on the other side of the tunnel.

The boys are checking out a
tarantula. That was the most
fascinating things for them on this trip. We ran into some bikers and they said that it was actually a trap door spider, but it's part of the
tarantula family. I don't care for spiders so I just stood back and took
pictures. My kids are very brave.
In fact,
MJ's happy for the day was that he got to pet a
tarantula.

This is another old mine that
MJ and
TJ practiced their mining skills on. Dirt was coming down on them everywhere. From here there are a lot of Trailers and campers that are grouped together. We didn't know it but we were on private property and people still have gold claims out there and quite the equipment that they use in search for their golden treasures.

Here are my handsome adventurers with our mode of transportation through the vast dry desert. We really had a good time. I really didn't know that there could be so much to see in this desolate part of the world. We are so glad that we are able to find some adventure and fun here in the desert.
As for the rest of the week: Sunday we had Stake Conference. It was so good, I especially liked the Adult session from the night before. Monday we spent a good part of the morning and afternoon at the park playing with friends. Wednesday-Friday were minimum days and we had Tyler's parent teacher conference. He is doing really well in school! Wednesday our garage door had problems again and one of the spools flipped off because the tension cord had come loose and so the whole door shifted to one side. Scary! Anyway Justin was out of town so I fixed it myself, ha..ha. I called the garage door guys and had them come and fix it. I am really tired of that garage door. I think we are cursed because this is the third time since we had it replaced that we have had a problem. Craziness!
Today is a new day and maybe we will go on another adventure, who knows!!
2 comments:
That looks like so much fun! You guys are great to get out and live it up! That garage door is annoying, eh! Take care, K
What a great adventure. I wish we had 4 wheel drive to check some of that out!
Post a Comment