Wanting to become a mother started for me when I was a little girl. I remember singing the song by Janeen Brady that contained the words, "When I grow up I want to be a mother." I always dreamed of having 2 boys and a girl. I would have had them in this order: boy, girl, and then a boy, so they all could be equally spoiled.
After high school and after attending college for 3 years I had the distinct impression that I should go on a mission. So off I went to Japan for 18 months to serve the people there. After my mission I thought now maybe I will meet a wonderful gentleman and get married and have children. That was not in the plan though, I finished college at Utah State University and then headed to Ceder City, Utah for my first big job. Within 3 months of moving I met the man that would take me to the temple and we would be married for eternity. We then decided that we would wait a year until we had children because I was the main breadwinner and my husband (Justin) was still going to school. After a year of trying we decided to see what was the matter. We then went through a bunch of medical stuff that I really don't want to get into (doctor's told us we basically would have better luck winning a lottery than having kids is what it came down too). All along we were praying that we could have a family and trying to be nice to all the family, ward members, and many others who would ask us when we were going to have kids.
Finally we had an answer, we visited LDS Family Services with the intention to adopt. We were still in Cedar City when we started the whole process. Justin finished school and that brought us to California. When we got here we immediately contacted LDS Famly Services and learned that California had different processes that we had to go through, so we were back to square one in filling out paper work, having home visits, taking parenting classes, making sure our home was safe, and attending CPR and First Aid courses. That didn't take us too long and we were approved within a few months. The waiting was excruciatingly painful. Meanwhile I was not able to find employment, but found myself being able to watch and care for many of my new friends children. I loved it. I was grateful for the opportunity to help out and feel a little bit like a mother.
Anyway time went by and in January of 2001 we got the wonderful call from LDS Family Services that changed our life. Mackay was born in April and then two and a half years later in August of 2003 Tyler joined our family.
Patience is really what it is about in my life. I have always had to wait for the good things to happen. Though the journey was long and emotionally painful, I made it! I was able to be called that blessed name...mother!
This is a short poem I wrote about mothers!
Motherhood is a gift from above.
A gift of life, of learning, of love
It is something that is felt from the heart
A blessing, a service, a life from which we can't part.
Happy Mother's Day!!

3 comments:
Thanks for posting your story, I like hearing about other's life journeys. I knew you did some waiting, but I didn't realize how much. Happy Mother's Day!
What a wonderful story! I loved reading that and was also inspired by your tributes to the moms in your life. Thanks, Shar!
You are such a great mom to your own boys and my kids too! Thank you foreing patient with life!
Post a Comment