For this mothers day I woke up thinking what kind of mom as I and what kind of mom would I like to be. In the scriptures it mentions in Psalms 113:9 "He maketh the barren woman to keep house, and to be a joyful mother of children". I have been blessed with this, although I have not been blessed with bearing my own children. Now I have to admit not being able to bear children has always been a hard thing for me, but the Lord has blessed me with the two most beautiful boys that anyone could have. I always tell them that they would have come into our home no matter what. Heavenly Father knew that we needed to be a family.
In the Proclamation to the world on Families it states "The mother is primarily responsible for the nurture of her children" In the dictionary nurture is defined as :
–verb (used with object)
1. to feed and protect: to nurture one's offspring.
2. to support and encourage, as during the period of training or development; foster: to nurture
3. to bring up; train; educate.
–noun
4. rearing, upbringing, training, education, or the like.
5. development: the nurture of young artists.
6. something that nourishes; nourishment; food.
1. to feed and protect: to nurture one's offspring.
2. to support and encourage, as during the period of training or development; foster: to nurture
3. to bring up; train; educate.
–noun
4. rearing, upbringing, training, education, or the like.
5. development: the nurture of young artists.
6. something that nourishes; nourishment; food.
So this is what the church tells us our roll is, and it is a big one because we are essentially responsible for the way are kids turn out, but we also need to remember to not be discouraged when they don't follow the things we tell them and love them anyways.
Now the kind of mom I want to be, well I am going to use lots of words and adjectives to describe this. I hope that I can be: loving, encouraging, supportive, kind, understanding, a good listener, helpful, courageous, fun, give wise discipline, faithful, patient, responsible, respectful, show reverence, simple, obedient, hopeful, faithful, show compassion and charity, be a good example, teacher, serve. The list could go on forever. There are so many things that I would like to be and do. I am grateful for the example of my own mother. She did a great job, I think!
Anyway, Happy Mother's Day to all of you Mothers!

1 comment:
I think the title of this post should read: The Mother I AM! But of course, you are humble as well :). I really do think you are a fantastic mother, and try to be more like you in my own mothering. And I don't mean that as sappy or anything. I really mean it!
Post a Comment