Monday, April 26, 2010

Another Hike...


Justin has been on this big kick for doing hikes so we thought that we would check out this one in Death Valley to Wildrose Peak. We started out by looking at some Charcoal Kilns that basically look like this huge beehives. At the time that these where built they would cut down the pine tree close by and burn them in these buildings then take the charcoal to a silver/ore mine. The kids had fun exploring these.

We then set off on our hike. The trail was really nice (compared to Owen's Peak) It was steep in some areas, but not to bad. So we started at an elevation of 6800 feet and hiked up to 9000 feet. There was some snow on the way so the kids had fun throwing snowballs at each other. I tell you our kids are troopers. They hike really well. They go even faster that I do. I am the one holding up the rear. It is always worth the hike to get to the top and overlook the valleys below. It took us about 5 hours to do 8.4 miles round trip. I was sure tired when we finished, only because I had run 8 miles the day before. Hopefully I will be in great shape soon after all of this hiking and running, so far I am not feeling it but will keep plugging away.

No comments: